Sunday, October 14, 2012

Latin American from the island to the mainland

     


 I come from a family in which food does play a big role my mother which is eastern european jew and my father who is puerto rican , food plays a key role in culture . I have partaken in puerto rican family eaten that can have a pig roast in the backyard . The sizes of portions are always big and never ending, i thought this would prepare me for all kinds of eating within latin culture but i wasn't right at all. When i went to my girl friends home her parents prepared me a meal like i never had before. My girl friend is El Salvadorian , this is very different from Puerto Rican being it is a country in central America compared to an island like Puerto Rico. When engaging in breakfast I was given a plate of mashed beans , cheese and a food called pupusas . When i look around there was only spoons to take more cheese and to take more beans. I myself didn't have a fork or knife and then I observed how the food was eaten. It was as if the pupusas was used to pick up the beans and cheese , and my girl friends family made it look like it was easy to clean ur plate to a point that there was nothing on them. They we clean as if they were washed in a dash washer and then i looked at my plate still had marks and streaks on it. I in turn looked at my girl friend and she told me its not for everyone , it takes time to get used to how to do it. I then took it upon myself to make sure my plate was clean, her mother told me central american food especially Salvadorian food is very different from puerto rican but a sign of a clean plate is a sign of respect. She commended me for doing my best and said she was glad i enjoyed the food so much. I can say as of today I can eat pupusas with the best of them and I have come to love the culture and food of El Salvador . I am actually going their next summer and look forward to experiencing even more great meals .




No comments: